Saragrace Knauf wrote:
> Lucky me - the entire book is available in PDF online!

I see the plates on the dragonbear site, but not the text. Did I miss it?
That's where you'll find Strutt's list of ms citations, along with lots and
lots more.

The intro on that site says "1862." Strutt wrote the book in 1796, and the
original two-volume set is a wonder to behold if you are lucky enough to see
one (usually in a rare book room). James Robinson Planche, the foremost
Victorian English costume historian (at least he'd have said so if you'd asked
him) published a revised Strutt edition, complete with his own annotations, in
1842. There is no 1862 edition that I know of, so that may have been a typo
for the 1842 edition, either by the site owner or the original eBay seller of
the plates.

I don't think I've ever seen a copy of the Planche edition of Strutt that was
hand-colored like these, but that doesn't mean this isn't one. It would make
me ill to think that this might be a 1796 Strutt taken apart and sold page by
page. Not so awful if it's the Planche edition, which is comparatively common,
but still pretty distressing.

--Robin

>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
>> 11:49:49 -0700> Subject: [h-cost] Wow - Strutt - Was : Where is this from
>> again.> > Look what I just found! > > http://www.dragonbear.com/strutt.html>
>> > May not be the text Robin was referring too, but....>

Robin Netherton
Editor at Large
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (314) 439-1222 // fax: (314) 439-1666
Life is just a bowl of queries.