Lynn: I thought the waist position on the pattern illustrated by the
yellow ballgown was odd, too. But I would check photographs and fashion
plates of the era both. I couldn't say either way, since the Civil War
isn't my era of expertise. I would trust photographic evidence more than
fashion plates. Few women could look as good in the fashions as shown in
the fashion plates. See photographs of Mary Todd Lincoln during her
years as First Lady as an example and also Queen Victoria before Prince
Albert's death Older women would cling to the styles of their youth or
adapt newer styles to what was comfortable for them. A waistline set at
least lower in front would appear more slimming to all figure types and
the smaller the waist, the more attractive the figure, even today. In my
very limited knowledge the round waist, often with sash, seems to have
been more prevalent in the late 1820's to mid 1830's than the early-mid
1860's. Even for women who could afford the latest styles as shown in
Godey's Ladies Magazine could be not as up-to-date as their European
counterparts as Godey's and other American publications published plates
of the latest fashions months or as much as a year later than European
magazines because of the perceived view of American women as being more
conservative, or less concerned with changes in fashion. A "good"
American or English woman was not supposed to be as fascinated with
fashion as their more frivolous European(read French)counterpart. And in
reality, the average Frenchwoman considered nouveau riche English and
Americans far more concerned with Dame Fashion than she was. Bottom line
was that few women could actually afford couture from the top designers
in France, probably even less than today.

After 1860, however, the waistline was preparing to drop into the
eventual princess-cut of the 1870's. Cutting waistlines lower in front
than back, apron-like overskirts and drapes, and tabbed extensions below
the fitted and/or belted waistline were more common as the crinolined
skirt started to change from the all-around bell shape to more fullness
in back after 1860.

Cindy Abel