Lavolta Press wrote:
>>       With either, it depends on how you set it up and your project.
>> The motion of a home knitting machine is to slide the carriage back &
>> forth, simpler than raising the sheds and throwing a shuttle in weaving.
>
> I know this sounds totally decadent, but are there any home machines
> with electric carriages?

There are motor drives available for some knitting machines. They
automate sliding the carriage, but that's it. The motor drive must be
halted while carriage or needle settings are adjusted manually as
required by your pattern. I don't know of any home machines that are
fully automated.

>>       It gets complicated with shaping, but that can be done with
>> punch cards on a knitting machine.  Patterns can be done with cards
>> as well.
>
> And will they all take cards?

Some machines support punch cards. Some machines have computer control.
Some machines are purely manual.

There's a great demo on youtube
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T26vuFnQgh4> in three parts that shows
manual shaping of a sock.