>       Industrial machines would tend to be more limited, each to its
> particular purpose.  Some are much wider than home machines, can make
> very wide fabric or multiple items at once.   Home machines are made
> to be versatile for varied projects.

Which is a good idea.

>       Andy covered the details on gauges.  I think most people would
> start with the medium.

That's what I remember people starting with when I looked into this before.

  Since large-gauge handknitting goes faster,
> bulky knitters are not as crucial to have.  Fine gauge is also a
> specialty type of machine.

I thought fine gauge might be nice for lacey knits.

I suppose I should consider taking up hand knitting, but I've got this
childhood block about it. I suppose counting stitches is not so bad if
you're an adult. I suppose I was also influenced by my mother's strong
preference for crocheting over knitting.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com