From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Andrew T Trembley
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:08 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] FLDS Clothing

On Jul 8, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Kimiko Small wrote:
> --- On Tue, 7/8/08, monica spence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> WHY is it that men make the rules of what women wear?
>> Monica
>
> Is this a hypothetical question, or a real one? I am not sure.

It's one that's probably way outside the scope of this list, at least
as it's phrased. Discussing strictures, sumptuary laws and appropriate
dress for a period may be appropriate (and necessary to understand how
to recreate historical costume properly) and it may be possible to
have a dispassionate discussion about the cultural circumstances in
which historical costume developed...

...but gross generalization is always inappropriate.

andy