Amazon uses a technique called collaborative filtering. They accumulate data on what people search for and buy, and then if someone else searches on or buys a given item, they recommend what other people "liked" from the database. For a new and "obscure" item, there is often only data from a handful of people. As each of those few people can have a wide variety of interests, recommendations related to new items can be pretty strange.

Also, Amazon does sell advertising that looks like the results of their collaborative filtering. For example, after Princess Diana was killed some publisher rushed out a pop biography/fan picture book only a few weeks later. For several days, no matter what I searched for, that book appeared at the top of my "recommended" items.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Onaree Berard wrote:
I've received a gift certificate so I was looking in their
"Recommended for You" and they suggested as as I've purchased "The
Basics of Corset Building: A Handbook for Beginners" that they
suggested the DVD "The Hogfather".

Is it just me or is The Hogfather the last thing that comes to mind
when building a corset?

Onaree