On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:08 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The newest computer machines will even measure the button for
you, and make the hole the correct size. They memorize the size, and sew
all the holes the same.

Actually I remember something from waaaay back, maybe in the 70s, a
style where you would place your button in the attachment rather than
a cam. Not sure if it made allowances for button thickness, though. A
thick or domed button needs a bit more than the usual diameter+
buttonhole.

I had a Singer Futura II 920 (the last good machine Singer ever made) with a one-step buttonhole system. You attached the buttonhole foot, inserted the button, and flipped a lever to complete the set-up. It did account for button thickness by using an angled stop; thicker buttons would result in a longer buttonhole.

andy