I'm thinking of buying a 1950's sewing machine with a buttonholer attachment, the kind that uses templates to make different size buttons. Some of them have templates that make round eyelets, and I'm wondering, has anyone used them for lacing eyelets on period corsets and bodices?

I have a progressive hand condition, so it's important for me to keep my handsewing to a minimum, and I can't bear the idea of using grommets!

Margo

I use machine sewn eyelets for most of my work, as most people don't want to pay me for the time to make them by hand. I have a 2 year old Baby Lock that has eyelets programmed in, and before that, my 30 year old Kenmore did really nice ones with its buttonhole attachment until it finally refused to work any more. I have arthritis in my hands, so there are certain things, like corsets and bodies, that I just can't do by hand anymore.

Melusine