I agree you have to watch what classes you take. I had a 50/50 experience on the classes at Costume Con. I took one class about the history or timeline of carnival/masquerade patterns. It was fun and educational to see how these types of patterns evolved from the late 1890s to present day. Another class that I took was sub-par. I missed a couple of classes because I slept late. I really wanted to take the beading class but missed it. I loved the beading at Balticon. I have always wanted to learn beading.

The Costume Society national symposiums that I had attended did not have hands on workshops. I liked the day trips to museums. There are some boring speakers and topics at National. I just had tea breaks with some nice people during those times. This didn't occur as much at the regional level.

They used to have good classes at the Wearable Arts/Vintage clothing/Quilt show in Williamsburg, VA. The wearable arts part was dropped and the show moved to Hampton. The show is presently not as good as it used to be.

Maybe one day, I will make it to Costume College. I wish we had one the East Coast.

Penny Ladnier
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
11 websites of fashion, textiles, costume history