> If people want to call these amorphous blobbly things "pillbox hats", fine;
> but it's driving us crazy, <G>.

What part of it is driving you crazy - people calling this as-yet-nameless
thing by a name they recognize, or the fact that you can't find the example
you first saw?  I do think that various folks on this list have found
contemporary images of several small head coverings that are similar to what
you must originally have found.  And there has been a lively discussion of
what they might have looked like, or how they might have been made - that's
what we do here.  And you did write <G> above, so I'm assuming you're not
angry.

--
Carolyn Kayta Barrows