> the Mode-in books were considered very doubtful sources.  All of them.

That's Ruth Turner Wilcox, and The Mode In Costume was originally published
in 1948.

Interesting also, speaking of re-drawings, to compare any garment which
appears both in Janet Arnold and Nancy Bradfield, and there are several.  I
trust both these women to have good eyes for authentic detail, but when
comparing any such pair of garment illustrations one finds that the
proportions are slightly different between them.

We need to remember that any redrawing is a secondary source at best.
Sometimes Wilcox is not even a secondary source.  My favorite example she
got from Vecellio, who wasn't a primary source either.  (Wilcox substituted
heeled shoes and trousers where Vecellio shows a skirt and flat shoes.)

--
Carolyn Kayta Barrows