You add each person you want to "follow" — so you can control the signal to noise ratio. I imagine it's handy for people who are away from their computers for most of the day since one can set it up to send the tweets as text messages to the phone. In which case they would have a data plan for the phone...

I know how Twitter works. The worst thing I can possibly imagine is people (chosen or not) breaking into my day any time they want, and largely for recreational purposes, with tiny little bits of info they think are interesting. How on earth could I actually concentrate for long periods, as I need to do to get my work done? I don't even answer the phone live--each call is passed through an answering machine. I don't have a cell phone and I hope never to get one.

Some people post maybe three interesting things in a week, and others let the world know each day that they woke up and had breakfast, showered, had lunch, etc... I don't follow those. It could also be useful to share experiences while on vacation or at a convention.

I also socialize as little as I can manage, and luckily, that's very little. I'm not really very interested in people in general--I'm much more interested in ideas.

I am aware that a lot of people love receiving little bits of info, I just generally find it insubstantial. And I know a lot of people love to socialize. I know a lot of people actually care what others are doing minute by minute. And I love technology, but this kind of thing is not for me.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com