Justine,

What sort of machine do you have? You can achieve very nice effects using basic stitches in interesting ways, or doing free-motion sewing - set stitch length to zero, lower feed dogs, get a darning or embroidery foot, and go! It takes practice, but you can create almost any pattern that way. If you need a guide, copy or trace the design onto thin paper, baste it to the project, and tear it away after it's done. It takes more time than having a fancy embroidery machine, but remember - good (read fancy), fast, cheap - pick two!

HTH,
Sandy