Long long time ago I made my prom gown out of a white linen fabric that had an overall pattern of embroidered roses. My shoes were also white linen, and I cut two roses out of the leftover fabric and appliquéed them onto the side-fronts of my shoes. From only inches away you couldn't tell they were sewn on. Is there any chance you can find some embroidered fabric to use of the plastron and bodice back, and then appliqué some of the motifs onto straps made from plain matching fabric? Or would that be too much bulk?
--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer