On May 13, 2010, at 3:08 PM, R Lloyd Mitchell wrote:

Coming late into this discussion, I have found myself wondering about how commercial companies (say Waverly) go about reproducing fabrics from the historical perspective (say Winterthur or Williamsburg). Permission to copy?? Permission to sell? Historical houses seem to go the reproduction method...when they can afford it...all the time.? What makes the diff when the reproduced fabric is used for costume purposes?

A licensing agreement between Colonial Williamsburg and Waverly. Or the historic site might hire the fabric company to make the reproduction.

I don't think there is a difference if the fabric is used for costume purposes. Once I buy my yardage, they don't care if I use it for curtains, a gown, or a slipcover for my unicorn.

The difference is that there are more home-decor enthusiasts than costumers out there. When looking for a market for reproductions, they go for the bigger group. Costumers will enjoy a source of period jewelry, but the museum will select the pieces that will also appeal to the general public.

     -Carol