From: "Lavolta Press" <f...@lavoltapress.com>
Sent 5/13/2010 12:42:51 PM
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Brocade and Fair Usegalities
On 5/13/2010 8:08 AM, R Lloyd Mitchell wrote:
> Coming late into this discussion, I have found myself wondering about how
> commercial companies
(say Waverly) go about reproducing fabrics from the historical perspective
(say Winterthur or Williamsburg). Permission to copy?? Permission to
sell?
I suggest that you contact some of them and ask.
\What makes the diff when the reproduced fabric is used for costume
purposes?
If you wish to copy a fabric for costume purposes, I suggest that you
contact the museum from which you wish to reproduce it and ask them. If
you need permission from a fabric manufacturer, ask them.
> Also took time to check again the copywright statements on some of my
> patterns that include the Major 3,
Fire and Smoke, Five Rivers, and a host of other designers
who are working all the time to give us good renderings of
patterns to inspire Historical clothing.?
All are agreed in opening statements that the pattern is for
personal/individual sewing and not to be used for commercial enterprise
> .
> How do these two issues get reconciled when the demand for the product
> exceeds the implied legal issues?
You'll have noticed that when you install software, you often have to
agree to/click on a licensing agreement that says how many machines you
can install that copy on and other things. Some pattern companies also
put licensing agreements on their patterns.
As with other permissions issues, if you wish to exceed the license you
contact the manufacturer, tell them exactly what you want to do, and
work something out. There is no standard price for anything--people
charge whatever they wish, and they can also refuse permission to do
what you want. Note that just because you think a permission is too
expensive, is no reason for you to violate copyright or a licensing
agreement. Usually professionals who ask for licensing agreements or
permissions that don't work out, just try someone else who charges less
or is more liberal about agreements.
Fran