Hello to everyone, I have newly subscribed, and hope you can help with
some little detail-oriented question I have about dress for an approx.
1861 upper-middle-class women's dress:  (She lived in New England).  I
appreciate in advance your help--you were all EXTREMELY helpful about 6
years ago, when I reproduced my great-grandmother's dress from a family
photo.  The final product was amazing.  This time I am trying to
re-create a historical character.  I chose a bodice with bishop sleeves
and a very full skirt.  Lots of petticoats.  An apron.  The fabric is a
100% cotton that is a medium size print in a base of navy/indigo blue,
with small white circles surrounded by smaller green crescents and tiny
white dots in a a diagonal pattern.
.
Anyway, here are my first questions about the 1861 lady:

1.  Were side front closures the most common?  and was it usually  the
left
or the right side?

2.  What about pockets?  I cannot find any references or photos  that
show skirts had pockets--were they still using a little pouch  tied at
the waist under the dress? Is it reasonable to design a watch pocket in
the skirt?

3.  What kind of hose would they usually wear?  Above or below the knee?
(and I"m referring to daily wear, not formal)  and how was it held
on?--would she have worn silk or cotton (even though cotton, by that
time, may well have been becoming harder to obtain).  Can you suggest a
reference for making the garters?

4.  I have some references that women (of working classes at  least)
would
have had aprons that might be made from previously worn-out  dresses or
skirts.  For an upper-middle-class lady, who probably took care of  her
own children and house to a large extent (her husband was off at war) ,
would that be the case, or would she have  worn a
newer apron (i.e. white or a solid color; cotton or linen)?  Were all
aprons the  "pinner"
aprons?  That's what I can find--either those or just the skirt  aprons
that tied in back.  Safety pins were invented in about 1849, were they
using those for aprons?

5.  I am not planning to wear hoops, although most of the photos  of the
time
time seem to imply them, i.e. full, wide skirts.  Once the war was
really
underway, and there was starting to be some early financial
hardships--were the hoops scrapped in favor of petticoats?

Doubtless I will have more questions, but these are the major ones  as I
dive in.  I really want to create a persona here and be really  accurate.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Yours in costuming, Lisa A