From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lisa A Ashton
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 9:28 AM
To: h-costume@mail.indra.com
Subject: [h-cost] Query RE: early Civil War women's dress

Hello to everyone, I have newly subscribed, and hope you can help with some
little detail-oriented question I have about dress for an approx.
1861 upper-middle-class women's dress:  (She lived in New England).  I
appreciate in advance your help--you were all EXTREMELY helpful about 6 years
ago, when I reproduced my great-grandmother's dress from a family photo.  The
final product was amazing.  This time I am trying to re-create a historical
character.  I chose a bodice with bishop sleeves and a very full skirt.  Lots
of petticoats.  An apron.  The fabric is a 100% cotton that is a medium size
print in a base of navy/indigo blue, with small white circles surrounded by
smaller green crescents and tiny white dots in a a diagonal pattern.
.
Anyway, here are my first questions about the 1861 lady:

1.  Were side front closures the most common?  and was it usually  the left or
the right side?

2.  What about pockets?  I cannot find any references or photos  that show
skirts had pockets--were they still using a little pouch  tied at the waist
under the dress? Is it reasonable to design a watch pocket in the skirt?

3.  What kind of hose would they usually wear?  Above or below the knee?
(and I"m referring to daily wear, not formal)  and how was it held on?--would
she have worn silk or cotton (even though cotton, by that time, may well have
been becoming harder to obtain).  Can you suggest a reference for making the
garters?

4.  I have some references that women (of working classes at  least) would have
had aprons that might be made from previously worn-out  dresses or skirts.  For
an upper-middle-class lady, who probably took care of  her own children and
house to a large extent (her husband was off at war) , would that be the case,
or would she have  worn a newer apron (i.e. white or a solid color; cotton or
linen)?  Were all aprons the  "pinner"
aprons?  That's what I can find--either those or just the skirt  aprons that
tied in back.  Safety pins were invented in about 1849, were they using those
for aprons?

5.  I am not planning to wear hoops, although most of the photos  of the time
time seem to imply them, i.e. full, wide skirts.  Once the war was really
underway, and there was starting to be some early financial hardships--were the
hoops scrapped in favor of petticoats?

Doubtless I will have more questions, but these are the major ones  as I dive
in.  I really want to create a persona here and be really  accurate.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Yours in costuming, Lisa A