I actually have looked at it--a friend has it who costumes
professionally, and I ahve photocopies of pages that really helped me.  I
wish I could afford it, but not int he current economy  and with two kids
to try to help out.  It was a great resource.

I actually have a number of authentic Victorian photo cards that I have
been buying at flea markets and yard sales for a few years (well before
this current project was conceived); unfortunately only about 5 or 6 of
them are the correct period.  Which makes sense, since the older ones
often sell for much more, but I"ve picked up a few, and one is more or
less what I'm trying to achieve as far as the bodice and fit.  She is
seated, and it doesn't appear that she is wearing hoops the way the skirt
gathers, but she may be.

Yours in costumign, lis aA

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:57:31 -0700 Lynn Downward <lynndownw...@gmail.com>
writes:
> A great reference book is Dressed for the Photographer: Ordinary
> Americans,
> 1840-1900 by Joan L. Severa (1995)

http://www.amazon.com/Dressed-Photographer-Ordinary-Americans-1840-1900/d
p/0873385128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275950625&sr=1-1