umm, as a former 4-H-er from back when rocks were soft ... it MIGHT be possible that the green horse barding was judged higher for reasons such as:

MAYBE the young lady in pink did her own machine sewing? MAYBE the two-part green body draping was more complicated? MAYBE the full-head fabric covering was a more complicated piece? MAYBE the respective horse's behavior, relative to the situation, was a factor? (maybe pink dress's horse put up well with a LOT more weirdness???)

The "Knight's" outfit is pretty spectacular, though, 8-)

chimene

I agree with Nancy; you were robbed! You gals did a great job. Tell your daughter she gets my vote, hands down!

Happy sewing,
  Deb Salisbury
  The Mantua-Maker
Designer and creator of quality historical sewing patterns, Renaissance to Victorian
  Now available:
Elephant's Breath and London Smoke: Historical Colors, Names, Definitions & Uses
  www.mantua-maker.com
  http://mantua-maker-patterns.blogspot.com

the only costume sewing I've done this year is for my daughter's 4H costume.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21642...@n06/4833605329/

She fit the costume and made the armor and accessories and cut out all the
silver fabric applique. I had to iron it on because she melted the first
one, and I sewed the seams just to save needles and/or a trip to the repair
shop. (she's a rather careless seamstress)

Sadly (for us), the girl behind her won the class

Denise B
Iowa