With the caveats that artistic representations aren't always intended to
represent actual clothing construction, and that representations of clothing
decoration are sometimes intended to convey symbolism rather than fabric
structures, and that there are multiple ways to create any particular
decorative effect in fabric ...

What are people's thoughts on the garments depicted in the early 14th c.
Manesse Codex that have diagonal striped designs?  Woven as diagonal stripes?
Print?  Woven as straight-grain stripes and cut on the bias?  Symbolic
interpretation of armorial designs not intending to represent actual garments?
Some other option?

How is a given hypothesis affected by other stripe-like designs in the
manuscript?  (Primarily horizontal stripes, but also chevron designs.)

Here's a link to an image showing a variety of these designs, just for
reference.

I'm contemplating the plausibility of the bias cut hypothesis, but I'm failing
to convince myself, given that the reasoning that would support it would also
conclude that the diagonal-stripe and horizontal-stripe garments in the
manuscript represent two entirely different ways of cutting garments that are
otherwise identical in depiction.

Heather