On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Leah Janette wrote:

> Only a few years later, you find the infamous Spanish diagonal plaids.
>
> http://jessamynscloset.com/plaid.html
>
> They still don't answer the question of "cut on the diagonal or woven that
> way?" but they don't seem to be an artistic convention for heraldry.  They
> could not be stripes tacked on afterward (although I think that could be a
> reasonable possibility for the Manessa Codex garments).

The diagonal plaids I find a far more compelling argument for representation of
a cut, although I haven't run across any surviving garments that support the
conclusion.  But part of that is the more "realistic" style of art during their
era.  But also, in renderings of plaid fabric in garments, there's a strong
correlation (not absolute, but strong) between the representation of "bias" and
garments that are more closely fitted while plaids represented as
"straight-grain" correlate with garments represented as more loosely fitted.
SInce the Manesse garments are relatively loose, that correlation doesn't seem
to extrapolate.

Heather