On 7/25/2011 2:59 PM, Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

My consort and I made our best interpretation of both scholar's robes and master's robes for our elevation (SCA) back in January. Academic dress and clerical dress start out as pretty much the same thing and then there is a bit of a divergence--you start seeing physicians and other learned people who are not practicing clerics wearing gowns that are different than what clerical types (bishops, etc.) are wearing, and the academic robes change quite a bit over time.

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=40339 is Doctrina from the Omne Bonum, BL Royal 6 E VI vol2 f. 541, wearing what we're pretty sure is a cappa clausa. c. 1360-1375

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=21457 is a university doctor/physician from Harley 3140 f. 32v, 1st quarter 14th c. That's pretty much what our master's robes look like--red wool with the overlong sleeves. Our scholar's robes are dark green with shorter, fingertip-length sleeves.

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=23830 has a cleric and a lawyer, wearing a garment which I don't remember the name of.

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=32907 has two scholarly types, at least one of them is a lawyer.

I think we have a written bibliography, but he's got custody of it. I'll have to ask him again for a copy.

Thanks! A bibliography would be awesome. I've gotten some good hints already.

Susan/ jerusha

--
Susan Farmer
sfar...@goldsword.com