On Aug 6, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Lavolta Press wrote:

> <snip>No one else has to respond to keep the blog going. And the formats of
> Facebook and Twitter basically encourage announcements rather than
> discussions.

I don't do Twitter, but on Facebook, there has been a lot of in depth research
type discussions going on in the two Groups I'm a part of.
Elizabethan Costume
http://www.facebook.com/groups/29374273995/
(being able to discuss with Ninya, Jane, and Melanie among many others about
different aspects of whatever photo we are discussing about has been very
enlightening. I think it is the ability to add in a photo shared by someone,
and then discuss aspects of what is seen in that photo, that really adds an
element that is harder to do on an email list.)
Historic Hand Embroidery (which I just started two days ago and it is pretty
hopping right now, mostly on sweete bags and elizabethan coifs, but other era
garments/embroidery is welcome)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/156337781110182/

The new Group format allows for photo posting, some basic documents (but that
is glitchy), and fast response times which can keep me on the computer longer
than expected. What I found is that if you create a group, invite a few friends
you know are interested in the topic, that people with interest in that group
show up rather quickly to be included. You might search to see if there is a
Group already created and of interest to you, or make your own for your own
interests. If you make your own, I suggest making it Closed so it doesn't spam
friends who aren't on that list, but leave the accepting of new members open to
other members so folks can be easily added by other members (I may close mine
in a few weeks to just the admins, or if we get someone that is a putz.)

However, I also know that in order for me to actually Create the ideas floating
in my head, I will need to spend less time on this computer, or those ideas
won't get created. Maybe folks are spending less time online in order to Create?

>  In late 2008 I was wondering whether people would costume more (more
> involuntary free time, because they'd been laid off) or less (because travel
> to events is expensive and I notice many people saying they are now skipping
> events they used to travel to). My guess is they are costuming less than
> before the crash.  I am not sure that purchase of supplies is as large an
> expense factor as event travel. I'm seeing people on both costuming and
> mainstream sewing groups saying how glad they are for their fabric stashes to
> draw on.

The friends I read on LJ, and the community posters, have all mentioned doing a
heavy draw on their stashes for awhile. I know I'm still working more from my
stash as well and only buying a few items to add finishing touches from my
stash items. But while folks are talking about not traveling as much, they are
still traveling to events dear to their hearts - so fewer events, and fewer
shopping for new stuff, but the commentary about making things seems to be just
as active, as is recycling old materials into new items that is also coming up
more often. I know that folks at Costume College have plans for next year's
costuming and are very excited from their ideas. So, to my perspective, people
are still doing stuff, making stuff, just adjusting to this new financial
situation best they can.

> Anyway, I really like h-costume because it is multi-era, and one of the more
> substantive groups. I'm interested in many periods.

I agree, even if my focus is mainly on 16th century. I have always liked this
group and have no plans on leaving. In fact, I've realized that I need to break
out of the 16th c. rut I am in, and branch out into other time periods,
including fantasy/sci-fi, which often has a basis in historical styles. Fran, I
bought one of your books recently to help me do just that. I know I'll end up
having questions on other eras soon enough.

Kimiko

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the
soul than their simplicity might suggest."
  ~ Sir Thomas More (1478 - 1535)