Hi Natalie,

The overhead projector is one option.

The other is to use paper with a grid on it. Drafting supplies may have it, sometimes sewing supplies, or in desperate states you can draw your own grid on the large paper.

The patterns in the books may or may not have grids on them. In the book, you can draw the grid in pencil or photocopy the page and draw the grid on the copy. Beware the units of measure, the book may have centimeters but if you have inch paper, you'll need to adjust.

Here comes the tedious part: label the pattern page and your grid paper with the alphabet in one direction and numbers in the other. Now you have the squares as A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2 etc. Whatever is in A-1 of the pattern gets drawn into A-1 of your paper, and on and on. If the pattern has a straight edge, you can plot the points and draw the line with a yard stick.

It is also possible to use the enlargement settings on a copier. This can get even more tedious, and copier settings are not necessarily true to size. These days, you can also scan the pattern out of the book and enlarge it in your computer. The grid method is what we did before people tended to have computers and scanners at home. :-) The computer enlargement is then printed onto several pieces of paper and taped together. As long as you are not distributing the scans in any way, you can make as many copies or printouts as you want.

The next task is to adjust the pattern to the size of the person who will wear the garment. You might do some of this in your scaling, if the original garment was made for a smaller person.

I'm sure the class will have techniques and tips beyond this, but that's the gist of it.

-Carol