Thank you!  Apparently our initial thought was correct, that openings are in
the front.  That stain threw me off.  Were shifts worn as nightgowns?  That
might explain things, if the wearer tended to twist around as she slept.

Were drawers worn as early as 1845 (give or take a few years either
way)?  Although considered well-to-do locally, the Reed family still
lived in a cultural backwater, so might not be up on the latest
fashions.

Shifts from other periods in our collection have smaller necks and really do
need an opening, but I
don't think these buttons were ever undone.  The buttonholes aren't
"pulled" from wear at all -- the neck is so wide it's unnecessary.
Why bother putting in a placket if you don't need to?

Our laundry marks are tiny ornate 3-letter initials which we believe were done
with a stencil set.  Still perfectly clear after umpteenth washings -- strong
ink!  I keep wondering why the ink bleed didn't when first applied.

Dede