Definitely by women after 1840 or so (vague memory of many costume books read years ago). Chemise often tucked into split drawers as a modesty panel.

My grandmother's drawers from 1913 were not split, but were attached to a top (a "combination"). When I asked "But Grandma, how did you ___?" she laughed and said, "Oh, we just pulled one leg aside." The legs, indeed, were cut rather wide, so her description fit.

    == Marjorie Wilser

=:=:=:Three Toad Press:=:=:=

"Learn to laugh at yourself and you will never lack for amusement." --MW

http://3toad.blogspot.com/