From: AVCHASE <achasedes...@peoplepc.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Sun, Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm
Subject: Re: [h-cost] help on a c. 1900 rural woman's dress

What my grandmother told me when I was a girl but a little background. she was
orn in Virginia in 1882. Her Father was an Anglo-Irish earl, who had
elinquished his title to become an American citizen, and he became a circuit
iding preacher after taking his family to West Virginia and farming there. My
randmother, in her teens, went to work for another farm family, until she was
early twenty. She earned fifty-cents a week, which would buy three yards of
ress goods to make a work dress. The farmer's wife,from France, who became her
IL, was the area dress maker by default. the work dress fell loosely from the
houlders to slightly below the waist line. The dress skirt was attached there
nd there was a buttoned placket opening in the front from the neckline. I don't
emember if she said it, the placket, fell to the hem, which was just above the
nkles. The placket opening could button either to the left or right depending
n the needs of the woman for whom it was made fo!
r convenience when nursing. The sleeves were loose and long, buttoned, and
ften rolled, when working, to be kept clean. When working the fields it could
e, that is was, often worn over mans loose work pants and and shirt. In the
ield, with only family present, it might be removed, but kept nearby in case
nother person appeared. A woman in engaged in field work would ride astride but
ept the dress on. Her shoes, similar to brogans, ankle height lace-ups, cost
er three weeks wages. In house she wore the dress with a straight cotton or
ool slip and an apron either wrap around or pinned bib. Her stockings were
eavy lisle fastened at the knee. Her drawers were crotch opened for ease of
limination and she wore no bra. Does this help. Please respond.
in the high boonies of Central Texas