Fran complained about modern irons.

Amen, Sistah! Not to mention the handles that have a sharp seam EXACTLY where it will chafe a sore spot onto your thumb if you need to iron for longer than it takes to touch up a permapress blouse you forgot in the dryer overnight. And what is it with the spitting & dripping? They had that solved back in the 70s! I wouldn't mind the inactivity cut-off, if you could disable it for sewing sessions. The last thing in the world I need is an iron that cools off during a seam!

Mary, the equally exasperated

p.s. I seem to recall a catalog with some old-fashioned irons in it -- maybe Vermont Country Store? I'll have to go look.