When my Bernette ProGlide iron died a couple years ago (and I really liked that one), I replaced with with the classic B&D and had the exact same experience, Fran. It was useless and went straight back.

I know you don't prefer modern irons, but I've been very happy with my Reliable v100, for what it's worth. I love the weight, balance, and steam galore. It never spits.

Good luck finding your perfect iron.

-s-

On 5/20/12 3:34 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:
I have a Westinghouse that changes color depending on the temp. This is
really good, as my last iron, while on "low" overheated and I melted a seam!

Sharon C.

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:49 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] %$#&* irons!

The Vermont Country Store carries the Black&  Decker Classic.  I've loved
the Classic for many years, and when my old one died, that was the first
replacement I ordered.  And returned after a few days of earnest trial.  It
leaked like crazy, and there was something seriously wrong with the
temperature, the auto-cutoff, or both.  I could never get it to heat and
stay hot long enough to iron everything.  So. it still has the old-fashioned
manageable size, the better positioned handle that gives the iron better
balance, the visible temperature dial . . . it just doesn't work.  Another
minus for cheap appliance manufacture in China.

I concluded that the way to get an old-fashioned iron was to just buy an old
iron.  There are a lot of them out there.  I am very hopeful about my
upcoming vintage GE (and since it has a polyester setting it can't be an
antique!), but if that does not live up to its unused-looking shiny promise
in the seller's photo and description, I will just keep buying old irons
till I get one that works.

Fran
Lavolta Press