My very favorite steam iron ever was made by Norelco, but then they quit making
irons.

Ann Wass

-----Original Message-----
From: Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Sun, May 20, 2012 4:49 pm
Subject: Re: [h-cost] %$#&* irons!

The Vermont Country Store carries the Black & Decker Classic.  I've
loved the Classic for many years, and when my old one died, that was the
first replacement I ordered.  And returned after a few days of earnest
trial.  It leaked like crazy, and there was something seriously wrong
with the temperature, the auto-cutoff, or both.  I could never get it to
heat and stay hot long enough to iron everything.  So. it still has the
old-fashioned manageable size, the better positioned handle that gives
the iron better balance, the visible temperature dial . . . it just
doesn't work.  Another minus for cheap appliance manufacture in China.

I concluded that the way to get an old-fashioned iron was to just buy an
old iron.  There are a lot of them out there.  I am very hopeful about
my upcoming vintage GE (and since it has a polyester setting it can't be
an antique!), but if that does not live up to its unused-looking shiny
promise in the seller's photo and description, I will just keep buying
old irons till I get one that works.

Fran
Lavolta Press

On 5/20/2012 1:20 PM, Mary + Doug Piero Carey wrote:
> Fran complained about modern irons.

<snip>