I've been a vintage clothing collector since I was 16. I've always worn items from my collection. I've always altered them for size, and in any and every other way I felt like. Lately, I have been been buying a lot of chemises and petticoats to dye and alter, transforming embroidered linens into clothes, and so on.

When I was five, my parents bought a house that was built in 1860 and pristine, untouched, except for paint jobs (still in the original colors of white with green shutters). I am one of the few members of my generation with an intimate knowledge of what it's like to plunk my bottom on an icy privy seat in the middle of winter. Believe me, that house was vastly improved by the installation of modern central heating and plumbing. Termite extermination was nice too. Oh, and a covered well with an electric pump? And a septic tank? Definitely.

No doubt, if the house had been a museum, there might have been regulations against changing it. But it was a private residence. Likewise, the clothing I buy is mine, not part of a museum. I am entitled to do whatever I want with it, have always done so, and will continue to do so. Obviously, if you have a clothing collection you may do whatever you wish with your own property--just as I do.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com