I'm not sure I'm conveying my question clearly, so let me try again.

I'm using The Tudor Tailor to design the next round of costuming for my husband. All of my previous experience is with modifying/altering commercial paper patterns, and I can do this fairly easily, including resizing. The Tudor Tailor patterns are printed on a grid within the book. It is my understanding that I need to hand-draw the pattern, life size, using a gridded mat. If I need to enlarge or shrink the pattern, may I do so by using the grid directly (increase all lines by 1/2 square, for example) and save myself having to draw out the original size first, or do I first have to follow the grid exactly and then increase/decrease using the regular rules for pattern grading? A tutorial on using the gridded mat to transfer the pattern from book to life-size would be appreciated.

Natalie

On 11/18/2013 5:03 PM, claudine wrote:
I googled "enlarging with a grid"  and came up with a number of sites and YouTube vids, aimed at
taking a small image (works the same for a photograph or cartoon as it does for a pattern) and enlarging it
like you would with a copy machine. Is that what you're looking for? If you mean to change dress size (like,
from size 10 to size 12 or vice versa) then you need to look up "pattern grading" or "grading
patterns"  but that doesn't necessarily require a grid.

Claudine

________________________________
  From: Natalie <natali...@gmail.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 1:47 PM
Subject: [h-cost] grid board tutorial
Could someone point me to an online tutorial on how to use a pattern
grid board to:
1. Copy a pattern from a book that is on a grid (like in The Tudor Tailor)
2. Use that grid to make the pattern a larger/smaller size.

I'm used to working with tissue patterns, so this is new territory for
me. Thanks in advance!

Natalie