Good luck! I ended up going to the Tudor Tailor website and ordering the
full-size patterns. My brain gets confused by all the math in grading.
Cheers,
Aylwen

On 20 November 2013 10:40, Lynn Downward <lynndownw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Natalie,
>
> If I understand what you're asking, I have expanded the pattern to full
> size per the book - that makes it into the size 9 or the size of the
> original garment in the case of a Janet Arnold book. Form there I graded it
> to my size and made several muslins until it fit correctly. I don't know
> that my math skills would be able to change it all at once, from a drawing
> on a graph to my size in one step. If you think you're experienced enough
> to skip that first step, I'd say go for it and save yourself a couple of
> hours. I know I can't - just not enough experience and not a proportioned
> body enough to do it.
>
> Good luck and let us know how it goes,
> LynnD
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Natalie <natali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I'm conveying my question clearly, so let me try again.
> >
> > I'm using The Tudor Tailor to design the next round of costuming for my
> > husband. All of my previous experience is with modifying/altering
> > commercial paper patterns, and I can do this fairly easily, including
> > resizing. The Tudor Tailor patterns are printed on a grid within the
> book.
> > It is my understanding that I need to hand-draw the pattern, life size,
> >  using a gridded mat. If I need to enlarge or shrink the pattern, may I
> do
> > so by using the grid directly (increase all lines by 1/2 square, for
> > example) and save myself having to draw out the original size first, or
> do
> > I first have to follow the grid exactly and then increase/decrease using
> > the regular rules for pattern grading? A tutorial on using the gridded
> mat
> > to transfer the pattern from book to life-size would be appreciated.
> >
> > Natalie
> >
> > On 11/18/2013 5:03 PM, claudine wrote:
> >
> >> I googled "enlarging with a grid"  and came up with a number of sites
> and
> >> YouTube vids, aimed at taking a small image (works the same for a
> >> photograph or cartoon as it does for a pattern) and enlarging it like
> you
> >> would with a copy machine. Is that what you're looking for? If you mean
> >> change dress size (like, from size 10 to size 12 or vice versa) then you
> >> need to look up "pattern grading" or "grading patterns"  but that
> doesn't
> >> necessarily require a grid.
> >>

> >> Claudine

*Aylwen Gardiner-Garden*

*Jane Austen Festival Australia <http://www.janeaustenfestival.com.au> *
*Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
<http://www.earthlydelights.com.au/>*
*John Gardiner-Garden's Historic Dance book series
<http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/earthlydelights>*