Hi Natalie,

I don't have the Tudor Tailor, so I don't know if the drafts are taken
from extant garments (at their original size) like Patterns of Fashion, or
if they are drafted to a more modern size, a la Jean Hunnisett.

If you are hand-drawing the pattern onto gridded paper, it's easiest to
use the grid you are given. I suppose you could draw a grid where the
squares are 1-1/4" instead of 1", if that's what works. (I can find paper
printed with 1" squares.)

These days, though, you could scan the page and enlarge it on your
computer, and print out multiple pages that you can tape together. In that
case you could have a pattern closer to size, and then fine-tune the fit
from there.

It sounds like you know pattern grading, so you could pick a measurement
(chest, for example) and size the pattern to that, then adjust other parts
as needed.

The beauty of using the computer is that you can look at everything faster
without spending hours drawing on a grid.

I would use Photoshop because I have it, but any image program will work
where you can open your scan and manipulate the size.

You could also use a magnifying copier to increase the size. It will take
several rounds of copying, though, and you won't have a version saved on
your computer.

Hope that helps!

-Carol