A shirt with tiny straps is called a cami or camisole.
Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Ann Catelli
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:50 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] t-top? Tank?

Tank top because it was worn by tank crewmen, who'd strip down to that
layer, UK vest layer, because it was very very hot inside a tank.

Ann in CT

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:20 AM, Kate Bunting <katembunt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Here in the UK we would call it a vest, because it resembles the
undergarment of that name. (Yes, I know a vest is a waistcoat in the US.)
Out of interest, I looked at the website of a clothing company I use and
they call them vests or occasionally camis, but the distinction between them
is unclear.
I first heard the term "tank top" 40 years ago to describe a sleeveless
knitted pullover to be worn over a shirt for warmth. The name always puzzled
me until I learned from this list that Americans used to call a swimming
pool a tank and that the garment was named from those 1920s men's swimsuits.
I don't think we would ever call the lightweight garment a tank over here.

Kate Bunting
Retired librarian & 17th century reenactor Derby, UK