Hello -

Thank you all for your contributions to the green fabric vote discussion! I thought it might be fun to approach it from a different angle as well just to see what would come of it. I pulled 30 clips that included greens from some fashion plates, extant garment links, and a few paintings. They are now in a Word doc oraganized as a sort of game. The first page has the collection in chronological order but the second has them slapped on the page as free-floating objects so they can be dragged around. I had a couple people here try moving them around in what seemed like, to them, logical groupings. All agreed that they seemed to fall into 3 categories: emerald (or blue-ish), olive, grassy. The version attached here is not particularly sorted and it has five clips at the top of the second page that actually included the name "pomona" in their descriptions.

If you would like to play the 'game' you can find the doc at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/regency/greens/greens.docx

It is no wonder the search for green is a challenge. I've been reading two fascinating books that have been useful. The first is about the cultural aspects of the color while the second has more technical information. Highly recommended:

1) Pastoureau, Michel. "Green: The History of a Color" (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2014) - "Examining the evolving place of green in art, clothes, literature, religion, science, and everyday life, Michel Pastoreau traces how culture has profoundly changed the perception and meaning of the color over millennia." (He has previously published books on blue and black.)

2) Greene, Susan W. "Wearable Prints, 1760-1860: History, Materials and Mechanics" (Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, 2014) - a fantastic and monumental book on printing and dyeing fabric throughout this time period. 568 pp. and over 1600 color images. (And the section on green is very small and very confusing due to the challenges related to the difficulty in getting, and elusiveness of keeping, that color!)

Enjoy!

- Hope