Well, there's three different things:

a) Get away from the current "two-dotted" extension, since many SDKs
cannot handle that.
b) Make the extension configurable.
c) Do away with the extension altogether (and, conceivably, use the
file header for identifying H2 files).

Of those options the first one is probably easy to implement and
wouldn't impede changing to one of the other options later on.
However, it does break backwards compatibility, because the newer H2
engines won't recognize the old extensions anymore, unless some ugly
workaround code is introduced. Therefore I tend to prefer the second
option, because it would allow restoring backwards compatibility - the
user could simply configure .h2.db again.

I am not sure where this file extension is being used in the codebase,
perhaps it is relatively unimportant internally? In that case it would
be enough to just stop adding the .h2.db extension to every database
url. Users wanting to keep the old .h2.db extension or using a new one
would simply have to change their JDBC urls to reflect that. So that
would be another option:

d) Stop adding extensions to JDBC urls altogether.

Ulrich