We are doing integration testing using HSQLDB, we still do full blown
integration test with oracle, but on developers PC's Oracle XE is way too
heavy, so we have a local build which uses HSQLDB.  This does do stuff that
requires reasonable concurrency from the DB and tends to cause timeouts
otherwise.

We always suffered either from timeouts or when we went to MVCC, the
missing lobs issue.