On Sunday 01 February 2004 11:18, Adir Abraham wrote:
> [a lot of valid points]
> ... You can conclude what happens with faster
> machines or those that include rich hardware features. I also assume that
> we'll have faster machines next year, so it will not take more than 40
> minutes in average.

Just adjusting some over-optimism: installation is very I/O bounded, and
disk speed is advancing very slow (comparing to Moore's law for CPU).

So unless next year you'll have everybody with SCSI disks, you won't
see a lot of speedup.

Still, I completely agree that the ~5GB full install is a wise decision in
the context of install parties to newbies who would have hard time
adding software. Worse, the typical newbie would assume that
if some 'Z' software isn't on her system -- than Linux doesn't have 'Z'
at all (actually, if an icon for 'Z' isn't on the menu than Linux doesn't
have 'Z' software :-)

So keep it that way, and it'll keep taking ~1hour/install...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron

"I love deadlines, especially the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
      -- Douglas Adams