Hello Haifuxers,

I'm using Linux to record video. I had a problem with jumps in the video stream, and after eliminating everything possible, it looks like the issue is writing to the FAT filesystem.

I don't know why, but when I wrote the data to a quite-so-full (defragged) FAT filesystem, there we jumps, which implies that data was lost. I'm not on the clear if the data was lost in writing it or when reading it from the USB connection with the video card (maybe because the process was blocked).

When I ran the same on a mounted NFS filesystem (on another Linux machine), all was OK, and no data losses were seen.

Does anyone have information about real-time problems when writing to a FAT FS?

Kernel modules involved: Standard fat and vfat as in 2.4.22.

Thanks,
   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il