I'd look out for a decent 2nd hand DSLR. As you look through the lens,
the problem with viewfinder type compacts at close range goes away.

For snapping documents, you want an arrangement that is known as a
'Rostrum Camera'. Here the camera sits above the ovject being
photographed. You can do this with a tripod. Once you are setup, you can
easily swap objects and you dont have to alter anything. nd as the docs
are laying flat 'archivists' should not their their nether parts in a twist.

It so happens that I have a Nikon D70 + 105MM AF-Macro for sale if you
are interested. 6.1Mp, Raw + Jpeg shooting. I should be able to find the
wireless remote as well.

I'm clearing the way for a D3X.

Stephen D