From: "Philip Stubbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:30:21
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List<hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Extending Wireless Range

Hi,

My Mother-in-law as asked me to help her get onto the internet. Her
brother has bought her a new laptop and I need to set it up. My
Sister-in-law lives just nearby, and visitors to the Mother-in-law
have been able to connect to the wireless router in the
sister-in-law's house.

Unfortunately, the Mother-in-law's laptop struggles to pick up the
signal. I have found that if I move it to a window in direct line of
site of the house with the router, it will pick up the signal, but is
right on the limit of usefulness.

The router is a speedtouch 585v6. It is on a desk by a window in site
of the Mother-in-law's house. The laptop is on a desk by a window in
site of the window that the router is behind. The distance between the
windows is (according to google maps) about 31 meters. There are no
other houses for at least 75 meters.

I am guessing that my options are:-
* Buy a router with higher power output and greater range.
* Buy a repeater that has a better reciever antenna than the laptop
and mount that in the Mother-in-law's house.
* Something else I have yet to learn about (This is where you guys can
help me big time :-) )
* Suggest that the Mother-in-law purchases her own broadband.

I don't really want to suggest the last option, as I know she will
only ever be a light user, and that would seem like a waste. Between
her and my Sister-in-law, they will only ever remain light users.

Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
--
Philip Stubbs