2009/2/9 Paul Stimpson <p...@stimpsonfamily.co.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks. That was it. I'd not put the key in authorized_keys properly and,
> when I did, sshd was refusing to open it because the permissions on the
> users's home were too lax (it was group writable).

I've been bitten by that one before as well. Trouble is, sshd is
pretty reticent about the issue so it can be quite hard to determine
just what the problem is.

I probably should not say this but I have sometimes been (too?)
relaxed about group permissions on a box , since usually I am the only
user. In fact I wonder if the 'user/group/world' permission model that
has been there since the start of the epoch is actually a bit
anachronistic. These days I can believe that there are assorted
daemons who'd each like a slice of some hardware resource, and so some
sharing/locking structure is appropriate, but how many PC's have
multiple different human users with conflicting, overlapping access
rights such that I and my alter ego can share some things, keep some
things to ourselves, but hide others from other alter egos?