In reverse order, yes I do have a password on mysql which I did not before

OK still failing, this is what I am typing

mysql -e -p  "GRANT ALL ON msn.* TO t...@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
'timssqlpassword'"

Error 1045 (28000) Access denied for user 'tim'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

and the error I get is the same as before

I have tried changing the localhost to IP address and the name of the PC but
still the same.

Am I being really dumb here??

Tim