2009/6/1 Jim Kissel <j...@osml.eu>

> Isaac Close wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking more along the lines of creating a tunnel to a remote
> location where access to my proxy and dns is availible. Thus all traffic
> will be encrypted going to and from a familiar location.

Should be able to screen out some of the unwanted adbytes too that way.

> > Oh and i'll be monitoring several aspects of the connection, i expect
> > it to be a fairly flakey service.
> >
> Sounds like you have a good handle on what's needed for a work-around.
> If you find Voda service flaky, I can recommend 3.  Been with them for
> about 14 months, and a 15GBP/month contract for 3Gigs.  Good service if
> there is a signal.  Their initial set-up is a bit flaky.

That's  putting it very mildly... the 3connect gadget or whatever it is that
does the Windows connection is ghastly (that's when my wife uses it on her
laptop, you understand). Ubuntu Network Manager seems to deal with it fairly
OK in my (limited) experience. As for "if there is signal..." - on the train
from Bmth to Clapham Junction I gave up trying to do any online work and
played Sudoku instead. Seemed to be no signal more often than not, so to
speak.