----- Original Message -----
From: "Samuel Penn" <s...@glendale.org.uk>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

> On Sunday 02 August 2009 19:53:59 Stuart Matheson wrote:
>> looking for a quiet multimedia PC that can be plugged into a TV for
>> watching iplayer, youtube and other online video as well as video files
>> and
>> possibly a dvd (I have an external dvd player she could use though so it
>> isn't a deal breaker).
>
> I use a PS3 for the above, including CD, DVD (not sure about region
> encoding) and Blu-ray. There is a bluetooth remote for video playback.
> Does web browsing as well (though some sites don't work so well). It's
> not the quietest thing ever, but I've found it quiet enough.
>
> Cheapness is relative. I've never used xbmc (or XBox/Wii), so can't
> compare it to them. I've also never used it on an SD TV.

Coming to this debate rather late - I've been looking for something that
will simply read files off my NAS and play them.   If it can do video then
great but I can't find a device anywhere that will read mp3s and play them
back through the TV when the mp3s aren't stored on a machine elsewhere
running itunes or wmp.   Are you saying a ps3 can do this?

Cheers
Rob