Hi Keith,

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:06:38PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:01:57 +0100, si...@pseudo-anonymous.com said:
>
> > Does anybody use puppet?  Have any tips/recipes they'd care to share?
>
> We use it at work to manage just over 100 servers and it works well. Tips?
> Yes: start small. Start with something really, really simple, then slowly
> build from there. Use modules from day one. Define, before you start, what
> you want to achieve. We're still growing our Puppet use, but currently we
> install packages, set up basic configuration, set up Nagios/NRPE, manage
> ssh keys, configure logcheck, configure Shorewall, manage system updates
> on Debian, plus a few other things. We have plans to do a lot more as
> Puppet has made managing this number of servers significantly easier.

Can you elaborate more as to how you manage SSH keys?  I've seen a
couple of ways but never really liked them..

Another problem I have is one of the most trivial things to do with
cfengine: purge old files in a directory tree.  Puppet's "tidy" seems to want
to read the contents of every file into RAM several times and
checksum them just to delete them for being too old, which is crazy.
I'm talking GB of RAM for just a few hundred files in a 3 deep
directory tree.

Cheers,
Andy

<Rebekah> i like making sweeping statements. it riles blokes
<benguin> get used to sweeping