On Fri, Aug  7, 2009 at 09:01:57 +0100 (+0100), Simon Strange wrote:
> I've recently inherited ownership of a small network, and I'm
> interested in using puppet to control it.

Puppet is _wonderful_.  As for most automation tools, it's definitely
one of those things where you have to invest time up front but it will
pay you back ten fold.

The documentation (and puppet itself) is much better than when I
started using it two years ago.  I'd recommend looking at "external
nodes" as it makes defining things much easier, well more scalable.
OTOH you don't need to bother if it's a fairly small setup.

There are lots of useful "recipes" and "facts" out there (specific
puppet terms here for non-puppeteers), however do see if they are
suitable - some do things in quite specific ways which aren't suitable
for everyone.

Adrian
--
Email: adr...@smop.co.uk  -*-  GPG key available on public key servers