On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:11:08 +0100
Daniel Pope <ma...@mauveweb.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Daniel,

> I was just wondering what is the state of the art in genealogy under

GRAMPS is pretty much the best, IMO.  There are other options, but I've
yet to see anything better.  It can be quite hard to get to grips with,
but is /extremely/ powerful.

Others are geneweb and lifelines.  The latter being text based.  I did
try geneweb, but didn't like it much.

> Linux? How do I get her started? Are there online resources I can
> point her to?

There's the GRAMPS wiki, and there's also a mailing list dedicated to
GRAMPS at gramps-us...@lists.sourceforge.net

For general genealogy resources, there are bucket loads of lists, forums
and whatnot at RootsWeb.

--
 Regards  _

You only see me for the clothes that I wear
Public Image - Public Image Ltd